Sunday 14 October 2012

On the 'Way'


 (Photo above taken by Ross Lawrie)
Well the countdown towards the WHWR entry for 2013 is well underway. So, training on the route for me has now begun, with the first run being yesterday. Ian Minty had organised another 'wee' run starting at Balmaha and would go to Inversnaid and back, around 30 miles. I decided I would run with them to Rowardennan and then 'run' up Ben Lomond and then back to Balmaha, which would be around 19 miles or so. So at Balmaha 11 of us set off at around 9am, with a very mixed bag of experience and ability. The great thing at these gatherings is that everyone runs together, more really being a social event and to just have a run in good company.
(Me, Ross Lawrie, Ian Minty, Nicola Giblin, Mike Raffan, Andy Johns, Jo Rae, John MacLean, Lorna MacLean, Alan Robertson, Lorna McMillan)
The rain over the last few days had turned some sections of the path very muddy, which caused a few trips and falls among the ranks today, but nothing too serious. It was great to see some familiar faces and meet a few new ones. The weather stayed dry until we reached Rowardennan. After a short break the main group continued on its way to Inversnaid. Nicola decided to head back to Balmaha from here and today had been the furthest she had ever run, well done Nicola (watch out Paul). I decided to stick to my orginal plan and headed up the mountain. Cloud covered the top and when I got to the flat plateau below the main climb I decided that was enough as several people passed me on their way down kitted out in full proper waterproofs. I ran back to Balmaha in the hope of catching Nicola, but she had arrived back about ten minutes before me.
A great day in the company of some runnig 'legends'. Lets do it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment